Friday, August 20, 2010

Album Note - Alcest: Écailles de Lune

Yes! Spectacular. Romantic black metal, according to Pitchfork. Any possible description of this album makes me highly skeptical I like anything about it, except the Pitchfork reviewer did make it irresistible. I've never heard metal I care for in the least. This? I love it.  Although it's not pure metal. It really is so many levels above that, very heavy  and sometimes sinister but in a floaty, melodic, beautiful way. The vocals alternate between longing voices on clouds and demons in hell. The layers of guitar are enlightening like a chainsaw massacre by angelic snow bunnies. This album has redefined my view of 2010, and metal. On the list for album of the year consideration. Yes.

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Alcest: Écailles de Lune 8.4/10.0

Reviews of Écailles de Lune by Alcest, collected by Any Decent Music 8.5/10.0

(Pictured is London graffiti)

This video will make you wonder why I describe it as sometimes sinister:



This one will make it clear, but then it shifts back to angelic: