Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Album Review: Joanna Newsom : Have One On Me

FREE FULL LENGTH LISTEN ON NPR MUSIC, worth clicking one song at a time:
First Listen: Joanna Newsom : NPR

LA Times deems it virtually perfect, according to Metacritics interpreatation of their review: Album review: Joanna Newsom, 'Have One on Me' | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Joanna Newsom: Have One on Me 9.1/10

Have One On Me reviews at Metacritic.com 85/100.

MILES OF TRANE REVIEW: YES.
When I saw Pitchfork gave it an astronomical 9.2 I thought either I will instantly love it or the reviewer likes a type of music I don't. But it was neither. My initial impression did not give me a 9.2 feeling yet I could not stop listening, as if it was a 9.2! By the end, her voice -- the voice that never pauses for the slightest respite -- the voice that initially both annoyed and elated -- had drawn me in completely. I cannot find words, so read the other reviews if you want a description. Maybe it's the mystery of genius, maybe I'm in an indescribable mood, maybe it's the Belgian ale, but one way or the other I wouldn't have missed it.